[BCAB] virgin tv control app

steve tyler steve.tyler at zen.co.uk
Sun Mar 3 11:49:08 GMT 2019

Hi tom.

Am online now with a keyboard so can give better description.

Firstly, with respect to apps: there are two - one is the tv control app and
the other which is entirely optional is an app that has no relationship to
the box at all;  it lets you watch tv on your phone so is useful for that
but you can entirely ignore it for the purposes of controlling your box.

With regard to connection, just to be completely clear:

* your virginmedia box is connected to its own data stream as part of the
regular installation.  That data stream is what allows tv signals to come in
to the box and watch and record tv;
* Additionally you can add a connection to your regular internet network.
This is essential if you want to do what you're trying to do which is to
control the box with your app;
* depending on how new your box is, it will either be wifi capable out of
the box or not.  I believe v6 which is the default offering certainly over
the past 18 months is wifi ready.  Even there though some people recommend
using the Ethernet port for connection to your network.  You can experiment
with that.  If it were me, assuming you have wifi in your house and assuming
your router is no-where near your box, I would give that a go first.  If
your router is near your box however I'd use an Ethernet cable;
* If your box is an older one, you have to use an Ethernet cable and have no
choice about it;
* there aretwo optimal ways of handling connectivity if you don't go the
wifiroute.  One is direct to your router assuming it's close by, and if not
the other is through either a powerline link (more on that in a minute) or
through a range extender (which must have Ethernet connectivity on it).
These come in all shapes and sizes and are continuallychanging but a good
and accessible option is anything made by netgear in my experience;
* The powerline option works by having two wall plugs.  One in this case
plugs in to somewhere close to your box and you connectyour box to it using
an Ethernet connector.  The other one sits where-ever your router is and
again you connect it to your router through an Ethernet link.  The
rangeextenders work very similarly except you only need one wall plug there.
Again, you connect your box via an Ethernet connection   to it and your
range extender connects to your network through a wifi connection.  Or, if
your box is v6, you should be able to connect to it, or direct to your wifi
network without a range extender, all through wifi.

Which-ever route you take, connectivity management is in the settings menus
of the box and I think that's the only way you can do it.  you should look
for wifi connectivity or internet connectivity as a menu option and the
system will guide you through the rest.  You can also ask virginmedia for
some help - they will send an engineer out to do this kind of stuff for you
if you explain your circumstances although they might charge for it.  if you
do go that route I would definitely call on week-day and office hours to
avoid as far as possible dealing with support people that rely on scripts.

Once your box is connected to your wifi network, when you fire up the tv
control app, it will want you to sign in with your virginmedia credentials.
At that point you should see your box listed under the "more" section - if
not you select the "tivo box" option just passed the help button on the app
and force the app to look for the box.  Make sure it says "box name
selected".

This is all rather convoluted I'm afraid but once you're up and running it
is fantastic being able to manage it yourself.

I am happy to do more off-line if you need and/or if you're having problems
I'd definitely call them to get some-one round;  if wifi
connectivity/internet connectivity is all new to you this can be deeply
frustrating and a fair amount does depend on the box, the set up you have
and the options you can use.

Feel free to shout for more.