[BCAB] suitable head phones for hearing aids users?

Andy Collins chitchat121 at icloud.com
Tue Mar 19 20:57:29 GMT 2019

Henry – I’m surprised that there can still be issues around sound compression with modern hearing aids, I have experienced that many years ago, but things have improved so much in the last five years that so much of the hearing experience is now customisable with the manufacturers software. Having said that, hearing aids do vary massively in price from a few hundred pounds to in excess of £4000. I think one of the greatest difficulties for us is to find an audiologist that actually listens to our experience of hearing as blind people. I have had the frustrating experience of an audiologist just wanting to go off the audiogram and set my hearing aids up to be compatible with that; but that is just the beginning of helping us achieve the best hearing experience we can have. I have since found an audiologist who is genuinely interested in how I hear my environments and assess the sounds around me. Investing in top of the range hearing aids has been a major expense in my life but very worthwhile, and with a good audiologist on board now, I feel well supported.
Andy Collins

Sent from my iPhone