[BCAB] Access to Work

Andrew Hodgson andrew at hodgson.io
Thu Mar 21 20:22:50 GMT 2019

Hi,

It is an interesting issue as what happens when you leave the employer and they insist on taking the equipment back?  If software, the employer may have sole access to the software keys in which case you lose control over the software you have put a stake in.  I came across this issue as well with the job I am in currently as the provision was being made on a laptop system and apparently I would be able to use that at home as well, even though the system was a work system.  The last couple of claims I have had for ATW have unfortunately gone the way of the dogs for several reasons and I have now made the decision to fund my own equipment with a pro version of JFW and my own Braille display.  This will also help me as I can see that I will probably have to go contracting in the future due to the gig economy that the IT industry seems to find itself in now.

It seems to me like when big jobs are required the system works fine but when all you want is a single item and you know exactly what you will need there are more barriers put in the way of obtaining this which is quite sad as people have said.

Andrew.