[BCAB] Recommendations for accessible modem/router for "Fibre To The Cabinet" broadband from Plus Net

Geoff Madge, Development Officer Geoffrey.Madge at essex.gov.uk
Fri Mar 29 09:16:15 GMT 2019

Hello All,

An interesting story has emerged about this.

We are currently using the Plus Net router as suggested by all of you who have kindly replied.  Earlier this week, my work laptop and both our iPad refused to connect and showed no or variable WIFI connectivity.  However our home W10 laptop and all our iPhone and Androids continued to connect without difficulty.

My next steps were to get the iPad updated to the current iOS for them using another WIFI, and ask for your thoughts on buying a new router as this looked like it was probably the issue.

Enter our agent on the ground - my wife.  She had noticed BT people with their heads in roadside cabinets and disappearing into dark holes in the ground.  She deployed her considerable influencing skills and they immediately checked out our fibre to the cabinet circuit.  Hey presto, no more problems connecting through the Plus Net router WIFI.

So, how would changing the circuit affect the WIFI on the router?  Anybody else observed this behaviour?  Thanks.

Best Wishes,

 Geoff Madge | Technology Services Business Partner
Essex County Council
T: 03330 136194
E: geoff.madge at essex.gov.uk