[BCAB] jaws upgrade

Barry Hill barry.hill3 at sky.com
Wed Oct 2 15:02:35 BST 2019

It depends on what you want.  If you want all the bells and whistles that
come with Jaws, then it's evidentially the better screen reader.  If you
want a screen reader that will read Microsoft Windows and Office, and is
compatible  with Chrome, Firefox and IE, then I'd say that they both perform
similarly.  NVDA is better at some things and Jaws is better at others, but
there's not much in it.

The recent webaim survey has their use pretty much neck and neck.  I suspect
that this might make Freedom Scientific pause for thought.  Perhaps they'll
drop their price or offer a home version for free like they do in America, I
don't know.

For me, although I use NVDA on occasion, my main screen reader is Jaws, only
because I've paid for the SMAs for another year yet.  After that, I'll
probably go with NVDA.

Cheers