[BCAB] Can echo devices communicate to one another over the internet

Neil Barnfather forums at neilbarnfather.com
Thu Oct 3 09:23:31 BST 2019

Phil,

Yes, you can use this in a variety of ways:

1) Once you have uploaded/synced your contacts to your Amazon account, performed within the Amazon Echo App (iOS or Android), you will be able to ask Alexa to call a contact.

If they have an Echo enabled device this will ring as if it was a traditional call at their end. They can answer it using their voice.

The call quality depends on a variety of factors; how far you are from your device, how far they are from theirs, which devices at each end are being used etc. Do bear in mind, this service isn’t limited to pure Amazon Echo devices, you can also answer/initiate the call from any smart phone/tablet running the Alexa App.

So as you will appreciate, there’s a lot of variance factors behind call quality. For me, if I use it to call someone who is near a fully fledged Echo device, and, I am equally close to mine, the call quality is more than acceptable.

2) You can also use Echo to call any land line, mobile number practically anywhere in the World for free. I’m not sure if you have to be a Prime customer for this; so far though I’ve been able to call any UK 01, 02 and 07 numbers without issue. I’ve also called US based landlines and cell numbers. The fact that this is free is amazing!

3) Echo also has a feature call Drop In, which you can use to Drop In on any device that you have enabled the feature on. In your home for example, it lets you just automatically connect with another Echo device in your home. So, perhaps from the living room to the kitchen etc.

Drop In though can also be enabled for your contacts, they too have to enable your right to Drop In on them. This has several uses, perhaps an elderly relative, it would save you hoping that they tell the Echo to answer the call, you would just Drop In; which instantly connects you to their Echo. This is not geographically limited, so, you can Drop In on any accepting Echo anywhere in the World.

4) There are a range of 3rd party supported calling services, the most obvious being Skype, which you can enable and use on your Echo.

Regards,

Neil Barnfather

www.NeilBarnfather.com
Twitter: @NeilBarnfather