[BCAB] Whether it is Accessible or Useable that is the Question

Vic Pereira vic.pereira at virn.ca
Wed Oct 9 21:26:33 BST 2019

Good day everyone

Determining whether or not a website is accessible or useable has always
been a difficult question for me. Several years ago I helped a bit with the
WCAG effort. At times it was obvious when a website wasn't accessible to a
person who had low vision or no vision, especially when adaptive or
assistive technologies needed to be used.

I also came across several examples of websites that were more difficult,
however with some investment in learning the basic text to speech software
navigation functions the experience became much more positive.

When a website uses embedded headings, tables, actual controls etc. it can
work very nicely if a person is comfortable using the text to speech
software functions to move between elements and navigate tables.

Now if a person wasn't able to invest the time in learning the adaptive or
assistive technology and issues complaints about websites not being useable
I have no idea where to put the blame. This is outside of having a learning
or cognitive disability of course.

Vic