[BCAB] Whether it is Accessible or Useable that is the Question

Vic Pereira vic.pereira at virn.ca
Thu Oct 10 22:53:13 BST 2019

It has been sometime, but I do remember something about WCAG moving from
being prescriptive to something akin to being more philosophical. I am sure
there is a better explanation, however it escapes me right now.

One huge hurdle I often come across when helping people learn a new
technology or learn a new way to interact with a computer is that websites
are often designed from the view of the developer or business. It is not too
often we come across a site that is designed from how a customer or client
can easily use it right away. Taking out the fact of not being able to see
it out of the equation I am sure I am not the only person that notices
sighted people taking a long time to read over a web page before they grasp
what is expected or how to get to the information they want.

When something falls into the camp of being perception it is difficult to
come up with a one size fits all. If we can get to a one size fits most that
would be a significant step in the right direction.

Vic