[BCAB] Fwd: FW: Accessible TV Guide

RNIB media.and.culture.rnib at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 11:39:47 BST 2019

Hi John,

Digital UK deal with the technical side of the Freeview platform. Sky are a
shareholder but Digital UK do not work on the technology for Sky. I suspect
that Sky are a shareholder because they have to carry Freeview channels so
they feel they are a stakeholder.

The EPG is running on Freeview Play channels so if it gave the listings for
exclusively Sky channels it would be telling people about the content of
channels they couldn’t access.

The EPG is a very clever way to offer accessibility across a range of
devices (all Freeview Play TVs) which wouldn’t make sense in terms of Sky
for two reasons. 1, Sky control their own receiver devices so they could
take the easier route of just making the box talk (or whatever alternative
accessibility arrangements they decide to offer). 2, If you were viewing
Sky channels through a TV you would need to switch the TV input to TV, go
to the EPG channel, find what you want to watch, switch the TV input back
to your Sky box and then tune to the channel with the program you want to
watch. It would add no value that an accessible EPG smartphone app wouldn’t
provide.

Cheers,

John