[BCAB] wiping a windows hard drive

Andrew Hodgson andrew at hodgson.io
Thu Oct 31 12:39:54 GMT 2019

Hi,

Get a recent Windows 10 installation USB and boot the computer with that.

Once in Windows 10 setup press ctrl+windows+enter to start Narrator.  Once narrator is talking press Shift+10 to get a command prompt.

In the command prompt type diskpart and press enter.
At the diskpart prompt type list disk and identify the number of your hard disk you want to erase.
At the diskpart prompt type select disk x where x is the disk number.
Once done type the command clean all and hit enter.
The clean all command puts zeros on the disk.  This may not be the most secure way of erasing the drive but if you were just going to do a Windows install is more secure than that.

You could optionally then do a new Windows 10 install using that media.  To do this just complete the first part of the setup which installs the OS to the hard drive, at the point when setup reboots the system don't let the system boot into Windows, this means the new user will get the welcome screens and can use the system as a new PC.

Andrew.