[PPC] Expected Capacity

David Griffith d.griffith at btinternet.com
Thu Feb 13 23:50:41 GMT 2014

I agree.  This carping on capacity seems very odd to me. There seems to be
an expectation that this is a value for money competitive marketing of a
product.
As I understand it BCAB is not trying to grab market share for profit  like
a minor version of Maplin's but imaginatively raise funds , and along the
way provide a useful setup which provides support to members and all of the
people who rely on this list. As far as I know nobody is making a fast buck
from this.
For the £10 for members I do not begrudge the price at all and have simply
transferred the contents onto a cheap 16 GB drive and renamed that pen drive
accordingly.

It is the work in the software design and setup, which I know has not been
at all problem free, which has provided the genuine value in the product. As
far as I am aware  everybody who has contributed to the product has done so
freely  and all the proceeds, for what there are to be reinvested for the
continued support of the many members who benefit from this list and other
activities of the BCAB.
I therefore personally think the criticism along capacity lines is a little
undignified. The design was simply to maximise the potential benefits to our
organisation whilst keeping the price cheap enough for every member. Buying
larger capacity  drives would have eroded fund raising potential, which has
apparently already been hit because the BCAB have found it impossible to
rely upon Articles for the Blind and are now mailing out the products at
cost.

David Griffith